Venturing South down the Great Glen you’ll reach Fort William, the main town in Lochaber.
Here are some ideas for when you’re there.
- Go for a swim at Lochaber Leisure Centre.
- Visit the West Highland Museum. Explore the old Inverlochy Castle, a 13th Century ruin.
- While away the time watching a boat pass through the 8 locks at Neptune’s Staircase, Britain’s longest staircase lock system.
- Find out how whisky is made and sample a dram at the end of a guided tour of the Ben Nevis Distillery.
- Arrive or leave on the sleeper train, a fantastic start or end to any journey.
- Get your heart pumping on the high wire course at the Nevis Range.
Don’t forget to stop off on the way!
- The Well of the Seven Heads is just a couple of miles south of Saddle Mountain Hostel. Grab a bite to eat at the shop and discover the gruesome history behind the monument.
- Visit the Commando Monument just north of Spean Bridge. The large three-figure bronze statue commemorates the service and sacrifice given by thousands of Allied troops during the Second World War. From this high point on the road, you’ll also get stunning views over to Ben Nevis and the surrounding mountains.
Carry on a bit further still…
- Catch the Corran Ferry across Loch Linnhe to explore the Ardgour peninsula.
- Go ice climbing at any time of the year at the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven.
- See another great glen, Glencoe. Full of turbulent history and spectacular scenery, it’s well worth a visit.