If you enjoy walking you can be sure of a warm welcome at Saddle Mountain Hostel. It’s one of our favourite activities too.
So, lace up your walking boots and get outdoors. The hardest thing will be choosing where to go. Check out the mountain weather forecast we pin onto our notice board every evening before you decide. The best thing is that there will still be more to do the next time you visit!
Once you’ve done the local walks, why not venture a bit further away from the hostel?
- Take a stroll along the Caledonian Canal.
- Follow one of the paths in Glen Nevis, Invermoriston, Abriachan, Foyers or Inverfarigaig and see cascading waterfalls, beautiful forests and amazing views.
Saddle Mountain Hostel is in the middle of some of Scotland’s most spectacular mountain areas. Make yourself comfortable in our Planning Corner and map your day out.
- Climb Ben Nevis. At 1,344m it’s Britain’s highest mountain. There are many ways up the mountain; the most straightforward is via the mountain track. Or if you’re more experienced, the scramble along the Carn Mor Dearg arête is an exhilarating alternative way to the summit.
- Bag a “Munro” or a “Corbett”. There are 282 Munros (mountains over 3,000 feet/914.4m) and 221 Corbetts (between 2,500 and 3,000 feet/762 to 914.4m) in Scotland. Many of them are in easy reach of the hostel. Our nearest Munro is Sron a’Choire Ghairbh (935m) and Corbett is Ben Tee (904m). Both are south west of the hostel, on the west side of Loch Lochy.
- There are too many places to mention them all, but Knoydart, South Glen Shiel, Cluanie, Kintail, the Mamores, the Grey Corries and Glencoe are close by and packed full of mountains to explore.
- Scramble on the Forcan Ridge in Glen Shiel, Ledge Route on Ben Nevis or the Aonach Eagach ridge in Glencoe. Those are a few of our favourites but there are lots more scrambles in the area!
- For more rocky pursuits, have a go at climbing, cragging or bouldering.
Scotland has some great long distance hiking routes. Three of them go through the Great Glen and take you past Saddle Mountain Hostel. Stay with us overnight on your journey, we’d love to hear about your trek. We also have a drying room and laundry facilities you can use.
- If you’re walking the Great Glen Way, follow the Invergarry Link between Kilfinnan and Bridge of Oich to reach us.
- You’ll walk past our front door if you’re hiking the Great Glen Variant of the Cape Wrath Trail or you’re trying out the unofficial Scottish National Trail.